SAD no more!

Like the majority of Americans, my family "survived" on the SAD (Standard American Diet....funny how that works out huh?) diet. We loved all things gooey with cheese, and we drank our milk everyday! But, then things changed. It isn't always easy...it has it's challenges, but for better or worse, my hubby and my kiddos and of course me, the mommy and cook, are on this trip and we are traveling at the speed of taste! So come along with us as we laugh, eat, share, eat, learn, and did I mention eat?? MMMMM


Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturday Thoughts

I was doing a lot of thinking about our journey up to this point. What really started out as a desire for better health has progressed into an area of compassion, ethics and a desire to do a greater good for our planet, no matter how small a part of the effort we as a family are.

The one book I would recommend to ANYONE considering a change or with questions about plant based, vegan lifestyles and the effect they have overall is The Food Revolution by John Robbins. This for me was a life changing book. I refer to it constantly and I am still astounded at times with the information in there. It is what made me really take a look at our lifestyle as an ethical choice. This book is what made it possible for me to walk through the meat department at the grocery store and not think twice about not picking something up, in fact I don't walk through the meat department anymore, it makes me sad sometimes. I HIGHLY recommend this book.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always interested in this topic so will be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure Leah! Truly an amazing book by a wonderful man :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm up to chapter 8. Wow. And Vegetarian Times this month has a 28-Day Vegetarian Challenge. this may be the time for me to make a change. Thanks for recommending this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to ask you if you got it yet...it really is a marvelous book. Also, when you are through with it, check out The China Study...just fascinating!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to email you about The China Study (when I remember to...). I've been meaning to write you about it for a week now.

    ReplyDelete