SAD no more!

Like the majority of Americans, my family "survived" on the SAD (Standard American Diet....funny how that works out huh?) diet. We loved all things gooey with cheese, and we drank our milk everyday! But, then things changed. It isn't always easy...it has it's challenges, but for better or worse, my hubby and my kiddos and of course me, the mommy and cook, are on this trip and we are traveling at the speed of taste! So come along with us as we laugh, eat, share, eat, learn, and did I mention eat?? MMMMM


Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mac & Cheeze

Ok, I have no idea why I didn't post this recipe first. It is the mainstay for my kids...I get requests for this all the time...so yummy!



Recipe (serves 4-6):


~ 1 box whole wheat pasta
~ 1/2 cup Earth Balance buttery spread
~ 1/2 cup flour (I use whole wheat)
~ 2 tbsp Braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
~ 1 tsp turmeric
~ 1 tbsp garlic powder
~ 1 tbsp onion powder
~ 1/2 cup (or more for taste) nutritional yeast
~ 1 large head of broccoli cut into bite size pieces


Prep:


~ Begin a pot of water boiling for your pasta. Add about 3 1/2 cups more than you normally would to be added to the cheeze sauce.
~ Heat 1/2 cup earth balance in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat
~ When the Earth Balance is melted, slowly add in the flour and stir until well combined
~ Add 3 1/2 cups of hot water to the mixture and whisk until well combined
~ Now add Braggs, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder and nutritional yeast and stir well.
~ Cook the pasta according to package directions
~ Once the mixture is bubbly and thick, add the chopped broccoli and cook until tender, stirring frequently.
~ Drain pasta and place it back into the pan it was cooked in.
~ Add sauce and mix. Allow to sit for a few minutes to thicken

This really is so tasty! Look into your local health food store. Most sell nutritional yeast in their bulk departments. It will quickly become a kid favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment